Welcome to CrossTalk, a Telco-Broadband publication designed to provide you with timely, valuable information in a clear and simple format. Crosstalk strives to provide a centralized guide to the latest market research and technology advancements that allow our industry to stay competitive, reduce customer churn and increase profitability. We will also provide updates on the latest developments here at Actiontec. We hope you enjoy this issue, and continue to look for our updates in the future. We also look forward to any feedback you may have on how we can make this newsletter more valuable to you.
Parks Associates has released a slew of white papers that investigate various aspects of the networking industry. One of the highlights is "Rural Broadband Services and the Digital Home" by Kurt Scherf. The paper details the habits and opinions of the rural broadband user, and finds that:
- Cable and Fiber customers subscribe to more bundles. Customer satisfaction increases with the number of bundles that a customer subscribes to.
- The key value-added services that customers look for are VoIP, premium entertainment offerings, home networks/residential gateways, online file backup, and premium technical support.
- It may be time to move from deploying a simple bridged modem to a wireless modem+router or gateway.
- "The presence of a home network provided by a service provider correlates to substantially higher interest in broadband value-added services, with a 20-90% higher interest in certain services in households with a service-provider-deployed home network versus those without."
Click here to download the paper.
Pew Research releases updated demographics on Internet, Broadband and Wireless Users
Pew Research released the latest in its semi-annual series, the "Internet & American Life Project." Among its interesting findings:
- 60% of adult Americans have broadband access at home
- Broadband growth is slowing
- 83% of laptop owners connect using WiFi, while 28% use wireless broadband
- 35% of adult cell phone owners have accessed the Internet via their phone
Click here for more info.
Latest For-Pay Market Research
IP Transformation; ABI Research (Jan. 5, 2010)
- Covers network elements impacted by this transformation
- Provides analysis and forecasts for each element
- Impact of various technologies on the migration, including LTE Evolved Core, IMS, Session Border Controllers, and Media Gateways."
Wireless LAN Quarterly Report; Dell'Oro Group (Dec. 14, 2009)
- Covers 802.11n market adoption speed
- Investigates who will lead in service provider mesh equipment
- Details the impact of the stand-alone SOHO market
Energy Management and Home Area Networks; ABI Research (Dec. 2009)
- Provides detailed market review of the Home Energy Management Systems, including key market segments, market adoption drivers and challenges, key competitive landscape trends, and major technological issues facing the market
- Unit and revenue forecasts included for next five years
Worldwide Home Networking 2009-2013 Forecast Update; IDC (Nov. 2009)
- Updates forecast for adoption of home networks
- Forecasts broken out by application type, including PC home networks, multimedia home networks, and entertainment home networks
- Forecasts growth of installed base of wireless networks
Latest from Actiontec
The February issue of Consumer Reports is out, and it includes reviews of the larger television, telephone and internet service providers. To see how you and your competition fared, click on the link below (to view online content, you will need to subscribe to Consumer Reports or pick up the latest issue at newsstands). Click here to read more.
Report: Cable cashes in on the Ethernet service trend
Click here to read more.
Jan 13-15: NTCA's Wireless Symposium in San Antonio, TX. Scheduled for San Antonio, TX on January 13-15, 2010, the 2010 Wireless Symposium will highlight "Connecting in an Unwired World." Tailored to meet the specific needs of independent operators and rural market vendors, the Symposium will explore all facets of the changing and expanding wireless world, from marketing strategies to financial planning, and case studies to network operations. For more information, go to http://buildwirelessnow.com/.
Jan 23-27: OPASTCO 47th Annual Winter Convention in San Diego
Jan 31-Feb 3: NTCA Annual Meeting and Expo in Tampa, FL. The National Telecommunications Cooperative Association (NTCA) will hold its annual Meeting and Expo in Tampa, FL on January 31 - February 2, 2010. Attendants will stay up-to-date on current business trends and issues while exploring innovations and networking with colleagues. Speakers include retired Navy Cmdr. Kirk Lippold on achieving leadership success and empowering employees, and Peter Recchiuti on how to build a secure investment strategy. Actiontec representatives will be at this meeting so if you are interested in scheduling an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feb 15-17: Telecom Environment Management in Orlando, FL
March 1-5: BMMA Annual Meeting and Research First Consulting's Broadband Services 2010 seminar in Newport Beach, CA
March 10: IDC's Directions 2010 Conference; Santa Clara, CA
This year's Directions 2010 focuses on capitalizing on the recovery, and maps a path for attendees toward strong, sustained growth in the future. Attendees will benefit from the following:
- Market intelligence and actionable guidance to help optimize growth opportunities
- Conversations with IDC and Insights analysts during one-to-one meetings, product demos, breaks, and lunch roundtable discussions
- Hot-off-the-press forecasts of 2010 technology market growth rates
- Predictions surrounding the best-positioned vendors, products, technologies, and strategies
- Numerous breakout sessions, breakfast discussions, and lunch roundtables covering key topic areas, allowing you to customize the day's agenda for your specific needs
- The opportunity to meet and compare notes with your colleagues and potential business partners throughout the industry
- Post-event, online access to Directions presentations, including audio and visuals
March 23-25: CTIA Wireless; Las Vegas, NV
The International CTIA Wireless convention brings together the wireless and converged communications, wireless broadband, applications, mobile web, and data industries.
- CTIA Wireless is the largest tradeshow for wireless industry
- Covers everything from wireless broadband, wireless LAN, Bluetooth, Hot Spot service, and more
- Attracts significant coverage from the worldwide press, as well as influential online analysts
March 24: FTTH Council's 1st Broadband and FTTH Best Practices Workshop in Raleigh, NC.
April 13-15 IP Possibilities Conference & Expo in St. Louis, MO
April 18-22: WTA's Spring Annual Meeting in Las Vegas, NV
April 25-27: NTCA's PR and Marketing Conference in Baltimore, MD
Past Issues of CrossTalk
Have an idea for an article, want to contribute an article, or just have a suggestion for improving this newsletter? Feel free to contact Lesley Kirchman at email@example.com
. See you next time.
About Actiontec Electronics, Inc
Building off of a history of shipping over 18 million Internet access devices, Actiontec Electronics leads the market in developing innovative broadband connectivity and broadband-powered solutions that simplify and enrich the digital life. Actiontec offerings range from the market's broadest selection of IPTV-capable broadband home gateways for bringing IP-based video services into the home, to DSL modems, wireless networking devices, routers and digital entertainment devices. The company's carrier-class products are easy to install, manage, and use, and are sold through retail channels and broadband service providers. Founded in 1993, Actiontec is headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, and maintains branch offices in Colorado Springs, CO; Shanghai, China; and Taipei, Taiwan. For more information, call 408-752-7700 or visit http://www.actiontec.com.
Latest Industry News
Comcast wins round one in FCC net neutrality case
Wireless Industry Proposes Low Power TV Spectrum Grab
FTTH Council lauds fiber's share of initial broadband stimulus awards