Juniper Study Reveals Consumer Insights on Digital TV
Juniper Research recently surveyed 500 smartphone users of streaming services to gauge their preference for subscription video on demand (SVOD) and streaming services. The study included users 14 years and older and provided information on China, the UK and the US.
The study revealed that 33% of US consumers use four or more SVOD services. Additionally, only Netflix was found to have positive retention, which reflects the challenge of maintaining low churn rates for other providers. Juniper’s study concluded that both quality and volume of content available through online streaming platforms are critical for providers to compete.
- Among SVOD users surveyed, Netflix was more popular than the free version of YouTube.
- Netflix shows a 20% adoption rate and over 10% abandonment rate.
- Given that US consumers use multiple services shows that no provider offers a “complete package” that meet all of users viewing needs.
- 4% of UK survey respondents stream sports events, which rules out some providers such as Netflix.
- The usage of smart TVs in the US has grown, impacting the use of set-top boxes and gaming consoles.
Click here to download Juniper Research’s whitepaper DIGITAL TV ~ 3 KEY CONSUMER INSIGHTS.