How Do I Set Up and Use a Powerline Adapter?
Are you sick of dealing with slow and unreliable WiFi? If you are looking to boost your current WiFi connection, try setting up powerline adapters in your home to create a strong home network. A powerline network is like an Ethernet connection without all of the wires. To set up a powerline network in your home you need at least two powerline network adapters.
Creating a powerline network in your home is easier than you might think. Powerline WiFi is a great way to improve your wireless internet connection.
Before reading any further to find out how to set up and use your powerline WiFi, here are some terms to know that will be helpful:
- Powerline network adapter and powerline adapter – Powerline network adapters and powerline adapters are the same thing. These terms are used interchangeably.
- hn – “G.hn” is not an acronym. It does not stand for anything. G.hn is a home networking connection that uses any of the four primary types of existing “legacy” found in the home. They are telephone wiring, coaxial cables, powerlines and optical fiber. We have an entire article about everything you need to know about G.hn that you can check out to learn more.
To improve your WiFi with a powerline adapter, first you need to set it up. Here’s how to setup your Powerline network adapter:
How to set up your Powerline Network Adapters
Powerline network adapters work in pairs. Make sure that you have at least two adapters if not more depending on the size of your home or office space. However, it’s likely that two adapters will improve the WiFi in your space.
There are two steps to follow to set up your adapters:
- Plug one powerline adapter into a wall outlet near your router.
- Plug the second powerline adapter into a wall outlet near your device.
That’s it. Once you have your powerline adapters setup, here’s how you use them:
How to use your Powerline Network Adapters
Powerline adapters use the existing powerline wiring in your home. By using this wiring, the adapters form a fast and stable internet connection.
All you have to do to use the powerline adapters is connect your device using and Ethernet cable to the adapter in the nearby outlet location. This physical cable – or “powerline” – connection is what gives you the fast and reliable WiFi you want.
Powerline network adapters are a great place to start when it comes to improving your home WiFi network. Looking for additional ways to boost your home WiFi network? Here are more ways:
- Optim Managed Wi-Fi Solution – Using a WiFi management system provides you with tools to optimize your network. Optim helps you manage the devices connected to your network for easy troubleshooting and optimal speeds. Optim is available through reputable internet service providers (ISP).
- MoCA – MoCA network adapters are similar to powerline adapters. Instead of using your home’s existing powerlines, MoCA adapters use your home’s existing coaxial wiring to create a high-speed Ethernet (wired) connection.
- Wi-Fi Extender – Wi-Fi extenders are a tool used to eliminate Wi-Fi dead zones in your home. These devices extend your router’s reach through coax cables. This solution is ideal for those who are looking to enhance their WiFi in rooms that can’t be reached by your router.