Welcome to the second issue of CrossTalk, a Telco-Broadband publication designed to provide you with timely, valuable information in a clear and simple format. Crosstalk strives to provide a centralized guide to the latest market research and technology advancements that allow our industry to stay competitive, reduce customer churn and increase profitability. We will also provide updates on the latest developments here at Actiontec. We hope you enjoy the July ssue, and continue to look for our updates in the future. We also look forward to any feedback you may have on how we can make this newsletter more valuable to you.
Get your share of the Broadband Stimulus Program
The deadline to apply for broadband funding is August 14, 2009. Online applications will be available on July 31st. For more information, go to http://broadbandusa.sc.egov.usda.gov/
The federal government is hosting a series of workshops to help you prepare your applications for NTIA and RUS grants and loans. Go to https://www.badgeguys.com/reg/2009/julyworkshops2009/register.aspx for more information. Or visit http://e-als.com/pdf/s_for_the_Broadband_Technology.pdf for information on workshops hosted by other groups.
News from the Smart Grid Conference
Some highlights from the recent Smart Grid Conference:
- Experts agree that we are many years away from implementing a workable "Smart Grid." Efforts are currently concentrated on making a "Smarter Grid."
- Standards have yet to be employed on a wide-range basis.
- Energy providers are looking to Telecommunications Providers primarily for wireless communication support on different smart meters.
- Report from the U.S. Government can be downloaded at http://www.oe.energy.gov/1165.htm
- Presentations from Connectivity Week's Smart Grid Conference can be accessed at http://www.connectivityweek.com/2009/#agenda
MoCA Alliance Plans for the Remainder of 2009
- Major news expected July on the next specification.
- MoCA Marketing Workgroup to fund outreach to Cable MSOs, Tier 2, and Tier 3 carriers beginning in September.
The Emergence & Evolution of Over-the-Top Video from GigaOM Pro
Report includes such nuggets as:
- By 2011, more than 100 million households will have at least one Internet-connected TV."
- "70% of 18- to 24-year olds view online video programming on a weekly basis…"
- "…more than half of adult Internet users said they are likely to cancel their existing PayTV subscription in favor of the OTT (Over the Top) service."
- "Increasingly, consumers perceive the Internet to be capable of delivering a satisfying video experience."
To read the entire report, go to http://pro.gigaom.com
. You can become a subscriber for $79 for a year.
Parks Associates offers free market research. Go to http://www.parksassociates.com/research/free_data.htm for more information
Latest from Actiontec
September 2009: The Broadband Multimedia Marketing Association
will be holding its Fall Workshop
. The Fall Workshop agenda will include roundtable discussions of selected broadband marketing topics aimed at consumers and small or medium businesses. For more information, go to
November 10-12, 2009: TelcoTV will be held in Orlando, FL. TelcoTV is the telecom industry's premier event for the exploration of a comprehensive entertainment convergence strategy. For more, go to
January 7-10: CES 2010. Next year's CES will be held in Las Vegas on January 7-10. Actiontec will have multiple suites in the Las Vegas Hilton. We will be showcasing VDSL and Fiber modems and routers, as well as exciting new devices to be used within the home.
What's Up for Next Issue?
Here's what to look forward to in next month's Crosstalk
- Think Green. Things to look for or demand from your modem manufacturer to be environmentally friendly.
- Status on the Wireless N specification and its pending ratification.
- How to better support high bandwidth apps like remote video monitoring and online gaming
Have an idea for an article, want to contribute an article, or just have a suggestion for improving this newsletter? Feel free to contact Lesley Kirchman at email@example.com
. See you next time.
About Actiontec Electronics, Inc
Building off of a history of shipping over 18 million Internet access devices, Actiontec Electronics leads the market in developing innovative broadband connectivity and broadband-powered solutions that simplify and enrich the digital life. Actiontec offerings range from the market's broadest selection of IPTV-capable broadband home gateways for bringing IP-based video services into the home, to DSL modems, wireless networking devices, routers and digital entertainment devices. The company's carrier-class products are easy to install, manage, and use, and are sold through retail channels and broadband service providers. Founded in 1993, Actiontec is headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, and maintains branch offices in Colorado Springs, CO; Shanghai, China; and Taipei, Taiwan. For more information, call 408-752-7700 or visit http://www.actiontec.com.
Latest Industry News
Most Cable Customers Give 'TV Everywhere' Thumbs Up: Survey
Alcatel Lucent: VDSL2 Line Bonding In 2010
Embarq, CenturyTel Complete Merger
Broadband generates $32B annual 'consumer surplus,' study finds Broadband access becoming more of a necessity for households
Consumer Groups Push FTC For Broader Broadband Oversight