Streaming Media Players are in 40% of U.S. Broadband Households
According to Park Associates’ research, it’s been a strong decade for streaming media players. The research shows a 6% rise among U.S. broadband households since 2010 and an almost 40% rise since the beginning of the year.
It also shows the competition. While Roku held a 37% share, Amazon’s share rose by 4% last year at the expense of Google’s share.
In a press release, Kristen Hanich, a Research Analyst for Parks Associates, said that streaming media players find success because they are modern with a friendly user-interface, wide app support, low cost and ability to upgrade TV sets.
- More than 70% of SMP owners use their device(s) at least once a week
- 59% of smart TV owners use their device(s) at least once a week
- 44% of SMP owners use their device(s) daily
- 37% of smart TV owners use their device(s) daily
- About 50% of smart TV owners own an SMP
- Flat-panel purchases including 4K/Ultra HD technology rose from 14% to 30% between 2015-2017